Thursday, September 3, 2009

Why You Buy Certain Wines

My son, whom is 23 years young, came home the other day with two bottles of wine to give me for my birthday. (Was that thoughtful or what?) I opened the bag to find a Robert Mondavi Pinot Noir and a Rodney Strong Merlot.

After thanking him I asked what made him choose these particular wines. He stated he remembers hearing me talk of Robert Mondavi starting the whole “wine experience” in Napa Valley and my thoughts on his wines and his vision. On one of our many trips to the valley I made a sudden turn into the driveway of the Mondavi Winery, drove to the fountain in front of the main building, jumped out of the car and proceeded to genuflect, got back in the car and drove off. I told him and his sister I was simply showing respect for an icon.

The second choice he made was also from his memory bank when his cousin and he visited that particular winery. He enjoyed how we were treated and how the people working the tasting room made him feel.

That brings me to the point of this entry to my blog. Why do all of us make particular choices when purchasing wine? In his case he chose wines from visits to wine country in California. In some cases from a recommendation from this blog (hopefully) or from a friend(s). In some cases it may be something we read about the wine. It could be a print ad we came across while waiting in the dentist’s office. We could have been served the wine at a dinner party. We could get a recommendation from the wine shop. We could see a billboard.

My point is that there are countless reasons why we make choices to purchase a particular wine over another. (I once was told by someone that she made choices based on how pretty the label was) Make your choice, open it up, share it and make a mental note whether you want to buy it again!

Wine is like woman… I like them all, some more than others!

Cheers!
J
I recommend Robert Mondavi Private Selection Cabernet. For about $11 this will get you in the cab boat! (Maybe not a front seat… but on the boat)

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, i always used to give wines as a gift to my dad. My dad love variety of wines. I love to buy wines for my dad.

    ReplyDelete