Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Boxed Wine

Hello Winos!

Before I even get started here today, allow me to apologize! I am about to write about boxed wine and I know what you are thinking... I am apologizing for whats in the box. But I am not, I am apologizing for the fact that boxed wine takes all the romance out of presenting, opening, serving and pouring the wine!

But in today's economy everyone is looking for a bargain, value and spending less without giving up quality, so there goes the romance! (make the romance with your baby) There are a few good options in this category that will surprise and delight you!

I think the best red is Black Box Cabernet Paso Robles 2006, about $20 for a 3 liter cube. (4 750 bottles) Do the math... $5 a bottle!

Another quality red is Bota Box Cabernet California 2007, about $19 for a 3 liter cube. (we apparently don't call them a box anymore... it is a cube!)

My favorite white was a Wine Cube Chardonnay California 2007, $17 for a 3 liter cube. This is a wine made from Trinchero Estates (great reputation winery from Napa) in collaboration with Target stores and only available at their stores. They also make a Wine Cube Cabernet-Shiraz California 2007 but I didn't think it was as good as their white or as good as the other reds I spoke of in this article.

Another white I recommend is the Blackbox Chardonnay Monterey County 2008, $25 for 3 liters. A nice rounded wine with plenty of acidity to stand up to food.

Wine Cube Sauvignon Blanc California 2007, $17 for the 3 liter cube is a nice alternative to Chardonnay and I think better with food.

You will find these wines at most any wine store (with the exception of Wine Cube which is only available at Target) Jewel Food Stores, Dominick's Food Stores and many neighborhood liquor stores.

I would keep the red in the refrigerator as well as the white wines to keep them as fresh as possible. When you want a glass of red, pour it and let it sit a bit to warm up. These wine cubes will keep your wine drinkable for 3-4 weeks after opening. (the label says it will keep for 6 weeks but I found that the wine lost its luster after 3-4 weeks)

So... your next party, the next time you feel like a little wine (which in my case is pretty much 24/7) open up your refrigerator and squeeze the little toggle and pour yourself and your cutie a little glass of value!

Cheers!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment