Friday, August 28, 2009

Favorite Wine

Hello Wine Lovers!

I just had another birthday (too many to tell you) and I was asked what my favorite wine was. (I assumed it was for the purpose of buying me a bottle for a gift) After giving this a quick once over I said to the person asking “Honig Cabernet is my favorite bottle of wine”.

Of course after getting in my car and traveling the hour commute to my home I realized what a loaded question that was! When you think about all the different wines you have consumed in your lifetime, is there really a favorite? I can certainly recall some memorable wines as well as some world class wines including, but not limited to 47 Cheval Blanc, 61 Haut Brion, 82 Gruaud, Heitz Cellars Cabernet and the list goes on! But to name a favorite… well I just don’t know!

I think it all depends on the moment you are drinking the wine. Are you sharing with a special person or friends? Are you relaxed and is your focus on the juice in the bottle? Is it a special occasion? Are you having fun? You get the picture. I have had some very memorable wines that were not very high up on the scale of quality but because of what I was doing and who I was sharing it with, that particular wine could be considered one of my favorites.

My answer is this… whatever wine I consumed last night is my new favorite. I have a lot of favorites!

Cheers!
J

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree! Soon after coming back from Ireland I was at a restaurant with friends who got together to welcome me home. We all ordered wine, and while tasting some of the different bottles, I found one that tasted just like Ireland. When I tell people this they think I'm weird, but it tasted just like Ireland! Subconsciously I'm sure I'm associating it with a wine that I probably had while being entertained, late night, with Uncle Bill & Michael. However, when I tasted that wine something associated that taste with my memories of fun times in Ireland. Long story short, I'm sure it was a cheap wine (especially if my and my college buddy's got it!), but to me it was one of the best wines I have ever had. Not because of quality, but for the memory invoking quality that it had. Unfortunately, I have not had it again and the restaurant I got it from no longer serves it. I've not been able to find it at any stores, but found it online. But online it seems like they only sell in bulk.
    -Justin

    ReplyDelete