Sunday, February 6, 2011

Passion for Wine











Hello Wine Lovers!
More snow here in Chicago! Enough already, I have had enough. Now that I got that out of my system, and before I sit down to watch the Super Bowl, lets talk about wine and passion and maybe even a little Cabernet I discovered over the weekend.
Passion (from the Ancient Greek verb πάσχω (paskho) meaning to suffer or to endure) is an emotion applied to a very strong feeling about a person or thing. Passion is an intense emotion compelling feeling, enthusiasm, or desire for something. The term is also often applied to a lively or eager interest in or admiration for a proposal, cause, or activity or love. Passion can be expressed as a feeling of unusual excitement, enthusiasm or compelling emotion towards a subject, idea, person, or object. A person is said to have a passion for something when he has a strong positive affinity for it. A love for something and a passion for something are often used synonymously. That is the definition of passion according to wikipedia. Why do I bring this up you ask? Well I have been fortunate enough to travel to some of the most beautiful and certainly world class wine regions in the world. Including France's Burgundy Region, Champagne Region and the Provence Region. I have been throughout all of California's growing regions as well as Missouri (Yes, you read correctly... at one time it may have been larger than California but prohibition stopped it's growth). I have visited many Illinois Wineries and also Ohio's many wineries. I have traveled throughout many of Italy's wine growing regions and many more. The one thing I am always fascinated by on all of my visits is the passion that each and every wine producer, grower, owner, wine maker, and the list goes on and on possess! Everyone involved has this unbelievable desire to create and love for the grape! Talk to someone involved and you will soon discover his or her passion, their love and their total commitment to the cause. It is this passion that drives them each and every morning to get out of bed in the morning and go to work! Think about it... when is the last time you felt so strongly about a cause or work or friend or significant other? Things that make you go hmmmmmm.
Now for the jewel of a Cabernet I found, Trapiche Cabernet from Argentina.Trapiche Cabernet Sauvignon Mendoza 2009 - Noble wine of a bright red color. Aromas of black fruit and spices. Soft and balanced on the palate, with a pleasant, long-lasting tannic sensation. For about $6.99 a bottle at both Binny's and Wine Discount Center, you can't beat it! They also make a Cabernet that is Oak Cask for about $5 more but that doesn't meet my criteria to write about (less than $10)

Cheers!
J

No comments:

Post a Comment