Saturday, February 12, 2011

An Old Grape Standby











Hey Wine Lovers!
Before I get started on this entry I would like to share Superbowl Sunday with you, and most importantly, the wine of Superbowl Sunday! I can't give them a "write up" here due to the cost of the wines, but I do want to share the complexity of them.
First of all, I invited a few friends over for dinner with the game as a second position. (I know, I know... how could we look at the game as second position? That's because you have never experienced dinner at my house) Anyway... moving right along. One of the guys is a big Cabernet freak, key word being freak. The bigger, juicer, ripe, over the top, tannic Cab from California, the better. No disrespect for that type of wine mind you, this guy is just crazy about it, to the point that is about all he drinks! He brings a Flora Springs Napa Cabernet... beautiful example of what California can produce! Upfront fruit, with lots of jammy dark berries with a somewhat tannic finish. My other friend brought a classic from his cellar. A 1998 BV Latour Reserve Cabernet. The history of this wine is crazy, but for you, I'm going to sum it up in a few words. It is one of the original wineries in Napa with a very gifted German wine maker that understood what the Cabernet grape and the region of Napa could do... enough said! This wine was spectacular! Soft suttle tannins, dark fruit with a slight chocolate nuance and just enough oak aging to say it was there. A good time was had by all! What was the score of the game?
Now for today's wine to review. Primaterra 2009 Primitivo. What a bargain! This wine will cost you about $9 a bottle and drinks like it is twice the cost!
A ripe and fruity wine with notes of plums, blackberries, and cherries with good concentration, balance and length. Well worth the price. Primitivo is the original grape DNA to what is modern day Zinfandel.

Cheers!
J

No comments:

Post a Comment