Sunday, October 2, 2011

Terra Rosa Old Vine Malbec



Hello Wine Lovers!
My entry today is two fold, an extremely value driven Malbec from Terra Rosa made from old vines from Mendoza Argentina, and my feelings on wine and dinner. First the wine. Here is the kicker... the winery is owned by Patrick Campbell who also owns Laurel Glen Winery in California. After the wine finishes fermentation, it is brought up to our California winery by ship in temperature-controlled 24,000 liter stainless steel containers to age in French and European oak barrels for 15 months. So what is the kicker you say? The cost is only $8 a bottle! Think about it, everything this wine goes through and it still shows up at market for this price! Available at Binny's and Wine Discount Centers. This wine is teeth staining, dark violet in color with a nose of licorice, tobacco and smoke. It has a juicy mouth full of dark plums and spice with nice tannins to round out the wine. Very complex for a wine of this price point! Before they run out, go and grab all you can carry, you will not be disappointed!
Now dinner. Last night my wife and I shared dinner with a wonderful couple (of which I happen to work with the husband)who's company and conversation was divine. At one point our dinner conversation led us down the path of a changing society and how different things are now than when we grew up. My point is (I do have a point...)I think one of the factors that has shaped our society today is the dinner table, or lack of. Without getting too involved and lengthy I'll tell you what I think. With both parents working, kids enrolled in everything from soccer to violin lessons to baseball, commuting to and from work, long hours of work, and the cell phone... there is never time for dinner! Dinner should be planned and thought about, not a drive through in between games or lessons. You plan dinner, you sit with your kids and you talk! You laugh, you ask questions, you get connected to them! You listen, and I mean really listen, to each other. The nucleus of the family is at the dinner table and without it, in my opinion, it starts to crumble. This is just one guy's opinion but I'm sticking to it!
Cheers!
J

No comments:

Post a Comment