Sunday, November 1, 2009

Hello Wine Friends!

Last night I experienced the very rare occasion of not finishing a bottle of wine. As I used my vacuvin pump to remove the air from the bottle of left over wine I though about sharing my thoughts on this little practice.

First off I believe you should always attempt to finish the bottle, that is the best for the integrity of the wine, as well as for your sleep. (I sleep so soundly when I have a belly full of wine) But on those occasions when the bottle cannot be fully consumed then I suggest the use of the "Vacuvin" pump. Most wine shops and even some grocery stores will carry this little invention for around $10. It consists of a plastic pump and two rubber stoppers. You can purchase more stoppers separately should you need more or lose them.

It is really quite simple to operate, place a stopper in the bottle, place the pump over the stopper and hold with one hand firmly over the stopper and with your free hand pump for 10 to 12 strokes. This removes the air from the bottle which will keep your wine fresh for up to 2 to 3 days. (Any longer than that use the wine for a reduction sauce etc.) This is one of those things where you say to your self "Why didn't I think of this?" Oxygen oxidizes wine which takes away its flavors and bouquet, so remove the oxygen and prolong the life of the wine! Simple!
I recommend after pumping the wine place it in your refrigerator (both reds and whites) until you are ready to consume the wine. Take it out of your refrigerator 20 minutes before you want to enjoy a glass!

Cheers!
J

No comments:

Post a Comment